Information for Third Party Instructors
Applicability: the following applies to third-party/private instructors who are not otherwise affiliated with Shoot Straight’s in-house CWP/Intro to Handgun courses.
Law enforcement agencies, military users, and police training academies should contact their nearest Shoot Straight location or Shoot Straight Defense (SSD) to discuss their needs on a case-by-case basis.
Shoot Straight makes available, with reservations and under conditions, our ranges and classrooms for third-party/private instructors to conduct classes. Before arriving at one of our locations with students, instructors should be aware of the following:
- Instructors present unexpired NRA, USCCA, or FDLE “K” license instructor credentials
- Instructors present proof of liability insurance with coverage for $1M per incident
- Instructors present a valid, state-issued photo ID and/or LE credentials
- Instructors should be prepared to show these items on each trip to Shoot Straight
- Instructors schedule their range and class time in advance
Schedule of Fees for Instructors:
- Instructors pay to Shoot Straight $10 per student for use of the shooting range
- Instructors pay to Shoot Straight $10 per student for use of the classroom space
- Example: If students are using the classroom and range, the cost is $20 per student
- Payment is collected directly from instructors and is due at the time services are rendered
Notes and Provisions for Instructors:
- The sales floor, hallways, range counter, or adjacent areas cannot be used to give instruction. Instructors who attempt to avoid the classroom fee by abusing the showroom areas will be asked to take their students into the classroom and will be charged the per-student classroom fee.
- Shoot Straight offers special pricing for female shooters on Mondays (“Ladies Day”) and for active-duty military/first responders. This pricing is offered to recreational users of the range who are not associated with any instructor’s class; these discounts do not extend to instructors through proxy / the transitive property.
- All Shoot Straight range rules must be followed at all times. There are no special considerations or exemptions for instructors or the students of instructors. All parties inside the shooting range — including instructors — are expected to comply with Shoot Straight’s range rules and instructions from Shoot Straight’s Range Safety Officers.
- Instructors must schedule classes in advance. Instructors who arrive without a reservation may be turned away depending on store traffic and at the discretion of the shift manager.
- Instructors who violate range rules, refuse to comply with Shoot Straight policies, or who arrive unexpectedly with large groups of students during peak hours may be asked not to return
- Classrooms can be used for video/PowerPoint presentations, verbal instruction, training with inert ‘blue guns’/training aids, and other purposes.
- Instructors should only be using ‘blue guns’ or inert guns in the classroom areas.
- Instructors may not use, present, demo, or display firearms in the classrooms.
- Instructors may not allow students to bring firearms into the classroom.
- There should not be any ammunition in the classroom areas.
- Rule of thumb: if the training needs to involve a ‘real’ firearm, it needs to take place on the firing line of the range.
- All Shoot Straight range rules must be followed at all times by students and instructors
- Shoot Straight range safety rules supersede any third-party instructor’s
- All parties seeking entry to the range must complete a Shoot Straight liability waiver, present a valid, government-issued photo ID, sign into the Shoot Straight range log, and be present for and attentive to a Shoot Straight Range Safety Briefing from an RSO before entering the range area.
Shoot Straight’s Considerations:
Shoot Straight enjoys a mutually beneficial relationship with hundreds of private instructors across the state of Florida. We want your student’s experience at our facilities to be top-notch. As such, we ask that instructors familiarize themselves with our rules before arriving to use the facility and that all classes are scheduled in advance.